It’s that time of year again, where we are looking around our homes, thinking of ways to repair, improve, and upgrade! If you intend to live in your home for many years to come and all you want to do is increase your enjoyment of your home, then prioritize your list of possible upgrades by what you’d enjoy the most. If you’re thinking ahead to when you may sell your home and want a return on your home-improvement investment, here’s the home upgrades that yield top returns for sellers!
The 2015 Remodeling Cost vs. Value Report for this year is out. So if you’re trying to prioritize this year’s home improvement projects and figure out which ones will yield the best returns, take a look at the report.
According to the annual report, done by Remodeling magazine in cooperation with REALTOR® Magazine, looks at how much of your investment you can expect to recoup on renovation projects when you sell.
As in previous years, the data are sliced in various ways.
For instance, you can get a big picture by looking at national data. You also can see the data broken down by geographic area or look at midrange and upscale projects’ standings nationally and by geographic area.
Here are some key results from the study.
Top 5 Midrange Projects (national averages in terms of cost recouped)
- Entry door replacement (101.8%)
- Manufactured stone veneer (92.2%)
- Garage door replacement (88.4%)
- Siding replacement, vinyl (80.7%)
- Deck (wood) addition (80.5%)
Top 5 Upscale Projects (national averages in terms of costs recouped)
- Siding (fiber-cement) replacement (84.3%)
- Garage door replacement (82.5%)
- Siding (foam-backed vinyl replacement) (77.6%)
- Window (vinyl) replacement (74.9%)
- Window (wood) replacement (71.9%)