Autumn brings in the cooler weather, which also heightens our awareness of carbon monoxide dangers. From having your furnace serviced before you need to use it, to installing detectors in your home, and becoming familiar with the symptoms of exposure, there are many things you can do to minimize your risks. Interested? Read more
Carbon monoxide is known as the odorless, invisible killer. So recognize the symptoms of CO poisoning and keep in mind that they tend to mimic the flu.
Early signs include headache, fatigue, nausea, and dizziness.
Next come mental confusion, vomiting, and loss of muscular coordination.
The Red Cross and the CDC offer up some basics to avoid CO danger.
- Never be tempted to use a gas oven to warm up your house or apartment.
- If you’re using generators, grills, or camp stoves, keep them outside and away from doors, windows and vents that could let carbon monoxide seep inside. Never use such gear inside a house or in a garage or basement.
- Don’t run cars or trucks inside a garage that’s attached to your house, even if you leave the overhead door open.
- Install battery-operated carbon monoxide detectors on all levels of your house and outside all sleeping areas.
- If the carbon monoxide alarm goes off, don’t ignore it. Head for fresh air outside and call the fire department.