Autumn is a beautiful time in Columbus. The lovely foliage, the crisp fall weather, and the urge to play outside while you can, all drive us to find fall activities in our area. Here are a few suggestions to help you search out the fun and fabulous things to do, in and around Columbus.
- Are you interested in picking your own fruit or veggies? Sites like Columbus on the Cheap have a complete list of other U-Pick farms all over the area.
- Many of us have fond memories of fall harvest fun and want to continue that tradition with our kids and grandkids. Pumpkin Patches has a list of pumpkin patches, corn mazes, hay rides, and fall fun for all ages.
- Take a walk in the woods! Central Ohio has 16 Metro Parks, with over 175 miles of trails, from easy strolls to demanding hikes. It’s a perfect combination of exercise and autumn beauty.
- Also, the Metro Parks has lots of outdoor programs. They’ve got everything from nature talks for little ones, classes about nuts or wildfowl…often on group hikes with a naturalist, to night-time lantern strolls.
- Visit a local food festival, and explore tastes of local produce and fun activities for the whole family!
- Don’t forget memberships you’ve already purchased: Whether it’s the Columbus Zoo & Aquarium, The Franklin Park Conservatory, COSI, the Columbus Art Museum, or another Central Ohio attraction. All of them offer seasonal activities or displays. Make your membership fees work for you!
- Crafts are a perfect idea for children on chilly, rainy, autumn days. Plan ahead during your other activities, by collecting beautiful leaves and branches, buying gourds and vines, and keeping an eye out for other crafty items. Then when the weather coops you up indoors, create fall décor, rubbings, Thanksgiving cards, and other autumnal crafts. Sites like Pinterest can give you great craft ideas and instructions.
- For adult crafters, Pinterest also offers more sophisticated crafts for adults who want to put special autumnal touches on their décor and holiday decorating.